VOLUNTEER ONBOARDING REQUIREMENTS
1. Apply online (above) to become an Oakland School Volunteer. If your application is approved, we will reach out with instructions for how to complete the following requirements.
2. Attend an orientation session to learn about volunteer guidelines and expectations, supporting students’ social-emotional development, and keeping students actively engaged and learning.
3. Upload tuberculosis clearance via email invitation. Tuberculosis clearance is valid for four years. You will get more detailed instructions when your volunteer application is approved.
4. Complete a Live Scan fingerprint criminal background check. We require this step to ensure all of our schools are safe places. You will need our unique “Request for Live Scan Services” form to complete this step. The results take from 2 to 14 days to arrive in our secure mailbox. There is a $35.00 fee for this service. If the cost is a barrier for you, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org after you apply to ask about our financial aid scholarship program to cover the cost of fingerprinting. You will receive more detailed instructions via email once your volunteer application is approved.
5. Sign the liability waiver. You will receive this waiver to sign once your fingerprinting results have been received.
6. Submit a photo of yourself for your volunteer clearance badge. Use a color photo with your eyes open and facing the camera. No hats or sunglasses. (Please let us know if you cannot meet the photo requirements for religious or medical reasons.) Once you’ve completed the on-boarding requirements, you will be given a badge to wear every time you volunteer. This way, school staff knows you are fully cleared and safe to be an ongoing volunteer on campus.
7. Attend a content training session. This step is optional but highly recommended. We offer trainings in literacy and math tutoring strategies at both the elementary and middle school levels. For high school, we offer the Career Coach training.
NOTE: If you plan to volunteer at a Childhood Development Center (Pre-K), you must provide proof of vaccination for influenza, pertussis (whooping cough), and measles to the front office at the school where you will volunteer.