JOB TITLE: Accounting Clerk
REPORTS TO: Interim Director of Finance
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
• $22.00/h – $30.00/h Full Time Non-Exempt Hourly Position
• Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
• Generous Vacation & Sick Time Accrual
• Paid Holidays
• Holiday Pay and 401(K).
WORK LIFE AT THE ED FUND
• A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and pet-friendly work environment;
• Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
• A brand new office in Oakland’s Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
• Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
• The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
• Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to The Ed Fund’s Controller, the Accounting Clerk will contribute to the efficient and effective workings of the Finance/Accounting & Administration department by executing daily, weekly, monthly, and year-end tasks with a strong attention to detail. This role requires strong accounting knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), fund accounting, time management skills, and effective problem solving to ensure success.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Execute within the Accounting Function by adhering to the accounting cycle steps as follows:
1) Identify transactions
2) Record journal entries
3) Post ledger entries
4) Review unadjusted Trial Balance
5) Post adjusting entries
6) Review adjusted trial balance
7) Produce financial statements for review and
8) Close all sub-ledgers and general ledger.
• Execute within the Accounting Function by adhering to the accounting cycle steps as follows: Identify transactions, Record journal entries, Post ledger entries, Review unadjusted Trial Balance, Post adjusting entries, Review adjusted trial balance, Produce financial statements for review, and Close all sub-ledgers and general ledger.
• Accounts Payable – processing invoices, following up with vendors and resolving discrepancies in a timely manner.
• Accounts Receivable – processing payments, producing statement of accounts, collections on overdue accounts and account reconciliation when required. Invoice creation and distribution when required.
• Vendor and Customer maintenance in Intacct.
• Process weekly remote deposits every Friday and when needed bring deposits in person to the nearest bank branch.
• Cash Receipts – process weekly cash receipts received by the organization into the accounting management system.
• Processing employee expense reports, verifying expenses are within the organization guidelines, correcting errors, questioning abnormal expenses and entering into finance system.
• Company credit card reconciliations, payment, communication for obtaining supporting documentation, processing approved and accurate credit card transaction through the Expensify and Intacct integration and circulation of complete reconciliation for approval of cardholders.
• Prepare and post various allocations, general and adjusting journal entries.
• Reconcile various general ledger account balances.
• Execute your accounting responsibilities in line with the accounting close schedule related to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks.
• General filing and administrative duties
• Assist with special projects as required
• Cross train and become alternate to accounting and payroll staff when they are on vacation or out for extended period of time.
• Perform front desk coverage and serve as backup member for other organizational roles and programs as needed;
• Serve as a core employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission; and,
• Support the Procurement Function by preparing and/or processing requisition forms when staff and clients request to purchase a good through one of our approved vendors. Ensure three-way match before processing payment to vendor.
• Other duties as assigned.
• In collaboration with Controller & Finance Associate, responsible for financial documentation maintenance and accruals of expected grant income; processing related vendor payments; monitoring proper revenue recognition
• Monthly reconciliation of grants receivable and grants and allocations payable
• Prepare and review financial reports for consistency, accuracy and compliance with funding sources
• Other duties as assigned
• Serve as a CORE employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration and/or;
• 3-7 years experience working in non-profit accounting, thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting, cost allocation and handling restricted and conditional funding sources;
• A high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and flexibility;
• High attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
• Good judgment and ability to manage tasks simultaneously with efficiency and poise;
• A high degree of professionalism, strong communication skills, able to work well with colleagues, vendors, contractors and various stakeholders;
• Strong data analytic skills (Intermediate to Advanced Excel proficiency), Business Intelligence, and financial modeling;
• Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth oriented non-profit;
• Ability to work in a team setting and independently;
• Strong customer-focus and results orientation;
• Innovation and process improvement mindset
• Experience with Intacct cloud based accounting system preferred;
• Experience with CRM platform, such as Salesforce;
• Experience with Excel Pivot Tables, VLookup, Macro;
• Experience in a medium, complex non-profit organization and/or private foundation;
• Experience in fiscal sponsorship and overseeing more than 10 or more projects at one-time with each having annual funding greater than $250K;
• General Ledger knowledge and experience;
• Powerpoint at an intermediate level.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply for the role at the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4721591
Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received. No calls or direct solicitations, please.
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven’t thought of just yet, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.