JOB TITLE: Communications Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
• $23.00/h – $28.00/h Full Time Non-Exempt Hourly Position
• Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
• Generous Vacation & Sick Time Accrual
• Paid Holidays
• Holiday Pay and 401(K).
WORK/LIFE AT THE ED FUND
• A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and pet-friendly work environment;
• Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
• Flexible work schedule;
• A brand new office in Oakland’s Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
• Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
• The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
• Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for building and sustaining the Oakland Public Education Fund’s reputation as the leading organization creating high-impact volunteer, funder, and client partnerships that serve Oakland public schools and students.
This is an incredible opportunity to play a leadership role within the Oakland Public Education Fund’s Development and Communication team. With you on our team, we’re going to continue elevating the public profile of the Oakland Ed Fund and the schools, teachers, and educational programs we partner with.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Communications Coordinator partners with multiple people and programs within the Oakland Ed Fund, including the development team, the school volunteers team, several programs, and the Executive Director.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Communications Coordinator is the Ed Fund’s chief storyteller. The person in this role will lead the creation and distribution of messages and materials that show why the Ed Fund’s work matters and give current or potential partners information that inspires them to invest time, money, or other resources in Oakland public schools.
The Communications Coordinator collaborates with all Ed Fund departments to ensure communications needs for different organizational audiences are met, from a one-time volunteer shift to a monthly personal donation to a multi-year corporate investment or ongoing fiscal sponsorship.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Leadership
• Create and lead implementation of communications and marketing strategies and workplan(s) in line with the new organizational strategic plan due summer 2019;
• Track performance of all communications and determine effectiveness based on defined targets
• Monitor and build organizational brand in all channels, especial social media
• Partner with Ed Fund programs (Oakland School Volunteers, development department, etc.) to support the production of content for department-specific and organization-wide email campaigns and newsletters,
• Serve as point person for coordinating updates to website, including leading/overseeing a rebuild in summer 2019
• Write and coordinate production of annual report
• Produce and distribute press releases and other content for various media outlets as needed, including op-eds
• Manage relationships and production timelines with external vendors, including graphic and web designers, photographers, and videographers
• Maintain brand assets and style guide for staff use, including co-creation of branding for new programs summer 2019;
• Train staff on use of brand assets including logos, talking points, and more;
• Train staff on updating website, running email marketing campaigns, etc.
• Reading on screens and in print
• Writing on screens and in print
• Color, image, and design evaluation on screens and in print
• Public speaking
• Data analysis and interpretation
• Quick decisions
• Occasional travel to school buildings and event sites
• Occasional need to carry equipment weighing up to 25 lbs
• Squatting, kneeling, and/or standing (for photography )
• 3+ years of communications experience, ideally in education and/or nonprofit sector
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communications skills
• Ability to turn data or technical knowledge into exciting and useful content that connects with target audiences and motivates them to action
• Proven experience with:
◦ Campaign Monitor or similar email marketing platforms
◦ Salesforce or similar constituent database
◦ Subscriber list management
◦ Social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube
◦ Google Analytics and social media platform analytics
• Highly collaborative work style and skill with building relationships across constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
• Ability to effectively juggle multiple projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
• Graphic design / Adobe Creative Suite, photography, videography, and/or WordPress skills are strongly preferred
Failure to follow the instructions below may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
Please do not send your application directly through e-mail. Apply for the role at the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4736144
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT THE ED FUND
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven’t thought of just yet, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer. We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve.
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.