Job Description & Purpose
Reporting to The Ed Fund’s Controller, the Junior Accountant will contribute to the efficient and effective workings of the Finance/Accounting & Administration department by executing daily, weekly, monthly, and year-end tasks with a strong attention to detail.
This role requires strong accounting knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), fund accounting, time management skills, and effective problem solving to ensure success.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Execute within the Accounting Function by adhering to the accounting cycle steps as follows:
- Identify transactions
- Record journal entries
- Post ledger entries
- Review unadjusted Trial Balance
- Post adjusting entries
- Review adjusted trial balance
- Produce financial statements for review and close all sub-ledgers and general ledger.
- Accounts Payable – processing invoices, following up with vendors and resolving discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Accounts Receivable – processing payments, producing statement of accounts, collections on overdue accounts and account reconciliation when required. Invoice creation and distribution when required.
- Vendor and Customer maintenance in Intacct.
- Process weekly remote deposits every Friday and when needed bring deposits in person to the nearest bank branch.
- Cash Receipts – process weekly cash receipts received by the organization into the accounting management system.
- Processing employee expense reports, verifying expenses are within the organization guidelines, correcting errors, questioning abnormal expenses and entering into finance system.
- Company credit card reconciliations, payment, communication for obtaining supporting documentation, processing approved and accurate credit card transaction through the Expensify and Intacct integration and circulation of complete reconciliation for approval of cardholders.
- Prepare and post various allocations, general and adjusting journal entries.
- Reconcile various general ledger account balances.
- Execute your accounting responsibilities in line with the accounting close schedule related to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks.
- General filing and administrative duties
- Assist with special projects as required
- Cross train and become alternate to accounting and payroll staff when they are on vacation or out for extended period of time.
- Perform front desk coverage and serve as backup member for other organizational roles and programs as needed;
- Serve as a core employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration or equivalent work experience;
- 1-2 years experience working in non-profit accounting, thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting, cost allocation and handling restricted and conditional funding sources;
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with an orientation toward detail, and the ability to work on several projects at one time with multiple deadlines
- Solid data entry skills and comprehensive knowledge of Excel, Word, Google products (Docs, Sheets)
- Preference for experience with databases, especially Salesforce
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrates professionalism through one’s work, and interaction with colleagues. Specifically and consistently understands that the quality of the work performed here directly affects the public reputation and internal efficiency of the Oakland Ed Fund.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Experience using Intacct or similar cloud based fund-accounting system
- Experience working in a non-profit and/or education setting a plus
- Two or Four year college degree (Finance, Accounting or related field) or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Oakland public education and Oakland public schools is a big plus!
$17/h – $22/h Full Time Hourly Position. Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance. Generous Vacation & Sick Time Accrual. Holiday Pay and 401(K).
How to Apply
Please do not send your application directly through e-mail. To apply, please complete the form at the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4714537
Failure to follow the instructions above may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
About the Ed Fund
The Oakland Public Education Fund leads the development and investment of community resources in Oakland public schools so that all students can learn, grow, and thrive.
What’s it like to work here?
- A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and pet-friendly work environment;
- Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
- A brand new office in Oakland’s Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
- Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
- The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
- Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
Equal Employment Opportunity Disclosure
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven’t thought of just yet, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.