About the Role
The Staff Accountant will work closely and report to the Controller and contribute to the efficient and effective workings of the Finance and Administration Team by executing daily, weekly, monthly, and year-end accounting tasks. Tasks include: general ledger management, all major account and sub-ledger reconciliations, journal entry postings, financial reporting, account analysis, donation entry, compliance, as well as special projects.
This role requires strong accounting knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), fund accounting, time management skills, attention to detail, and effective problem solving.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Execute within the Accounting Function by adhering to the accounting cycle steps as follows:
1) Identify transactions
2) Record journal entries
3) Post ledger entries
4) Review unadjusted Trial Balance
5) Post adjusting entries
6) Review adjusted trial balance
7) Produce financial statements for review and
8) Close all sub-ledgers and general ledger.
- General Ledger Management – chart of account maintenance, accurate posting of transactions to avoid reclassifications and update forms when changes to the chart of accounts warrant an update.
- Balance Sheet and Bank Reconciliations – ensure accurate balances and consistent timely reconciliations for management to review.
- Sub-ledger Reconciliations – ensure all external sub-ledgers (i.e. Paylocity, Salesforce, Classy, PayPal, etc.) reconcile with financial information posted to the general ledger. Maintain supporting documentation for review by management and to attach to the journal entry posting.
- Accounts Receivable – processing payments, producing statement of accounts, collections on overdue accounts and account reconciliation when required. Invoice creation and distribution when required.
- Company credit card reconciliations, payment, communication for obtaining supporting documentation, processing approved and accurate credit card transaction through the Expensify and Intacct integration and circulation of complete reconciliation for approval of cardholders.
- Indirect Allocations – support and execute the posting of the indirect allocation and maintain the change in the cost allocation base during the budget period or each new budget year.
- Adjusting entries – post each month, when applicable, adjusting entries for accrued revenues, accrued expenses, deferred expenses, and deferred revenues.
- Reclassification entries – when reviewing dimension level activity, identify and reclassify transactions to appropriate dimension classifications.
- Payroll reconciliation – ensure a reconciliation between payroll submitted to IRS and FTB reconcile to our general ledger on a quarterly basis.
- Pensys, Inc. 401(K) Administration – Process and post any pre-tax 401(k) deductions to investment account and reconcile each month.
- Accounts Payable – review all AP vouchers for coding and supporting documentation accuracy prior to check run.
- Cash Receipts/Deposits – review all cash receipts for coding accuracy and generate deposits in Intacct based on deposit supporting documentation and Salesforce related data for accuracy.
- Execute your accounting responsibilities in line with the accounting close schedule related to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks.
- Execute within the Financial Reporting and Compliance Function by ensuring accuracy of financial transactions during the review period of the monthly close process. Reporting packages are built for the various stakeholder groups within the organization to support a framework for transparency, accuracy, relevance + reliability of financial information for sound monitoring and decision making toward equitable educational impact in our Oakland community.
- Review monthly financial statements produced by our accounting information system to ensure accuracy and execute in adjusting transactions that require reclassification before reporting packages auto-push to our various stakeholders.
- Ensure contractor payments are accurately selected as 1099 reportable in the accounting management system and monitored throughout the year for accurate annual 1099-MISC reporting to contractors, IRS and FTB.
- Ensure Sales and Use Tax Return is completed and filed per our California Tax and Fee Administration filing requirements.
- Support the creation of ad hoc financial reports to meet funder requirements and for various stakeholders including staff and fiscally sponsored programs.
- Maintain volume levels within Key Performance Indicators (KPI)s to provide visibility and measurability for decision-making to scale during period of growth or downsize during periods of contraction.
- Compile data from the Ed Fund databases and systems in order to assist in generating and analyzing financial reports on a monthly basis.
- Support the Annual Audit by ensuring all audit schedules are maintained throughout the year and all documentation is pulled as requested from in the auditors in preparation for audit field work when scheduled.
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures, and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Recommend changes to financial practices, policies, and procedures as they relate to the accounting function.
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of accounting, to ensure compliance with Ed Fund financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Cross train and become alternate to accounting and payroll staff when they are on vacation or out for extended period of time.
- Serve as a CORE employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration and/or;
- 3-7 years experience working in non-profit accounting, thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting, cost allocation and handling restricted and conditional funding sources;
- A high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and flexibility;
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Good judgment and ability to manage tasks simultaneously with efficiency and poise;
- A high degree of professionalism, strong communication skills, able to work well with colleagues, vendors, contractors and various stakeholders;
- Strong data analytic skills (Intermediate to Advanced Excel proficiency), Business Intelligence, and financial modeling;
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth oriented non-profit;
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently;
- Strong customer-focus and results orientation;
- Innovation and process improvement mindset
- Experience with Intacct cloud based accounting system preferred;
- Experience with CRM platform, such as Salesforce;
- Experience with Excel Pivot Tables, VLookup, Macro;
- Experience in a medium, complex non-profit organization and/or private foundation;
- Experience in fiscal sponsorship and overseeing more than 10 or more projects at one-time with each having annual funding greater than $250K;
- General Ledger knowledge and experience;
- Powerpoint at an intermediate level.
- Reports to the Controller of the Oakland Public Education Fund
- No direct-reports
Compensation & Benefits
- $24/h – $31.25/h Full Time Non-Exempt Hourly Position
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Generous Vacation & Sick Time Accrual
- Paid Holidays
- Holiday Pay and 401(K)
About the Oakland Public Education Fund
The Oakland Public Education Fund raises resources, leverages partnerships, and fosters community engagement so that every public school student can learn, grow, and thrive.
Work Life at the Ed Fund
- A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and pet-friendly work environment;
- Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
- A brand new office in Oakland’s Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
- Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
- The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
- Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
How to Apply
Apply for the Staff Accountant role at the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4721591
Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received. No calls or direct solicitations, please.
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven’t thought of just yet, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.