Community Volunteer Registration
Get matched with a classroom or individual student to support high-quality learning once a week or more. This program is a great fit for caring, flexible individuals who are excited to take initiative and learn! Parents/guardians, please register HERE instead.
Please select the volunteer option that is the best fit for you (buttons below), fill out the corresponding application form, and then our team will follow up with you immediately via email.
(Includes Sports Coaching, School Counseling Interns, and School Gardening)
Support a class with different activities, including working with a small group, tutoring, material prep, organization, translations, and more.
Ongoing volunteers must be living in California, over the age of 18, and willing/able to pass an FBI/DOJ fingerprint background check.
You can check the path to clearance based on volunteer role HERE to help decide the type of volunteer you’d like to become.
Once you complete the on-boarding requirements, we will invite you to select the school placement that is the right fit for you.
Interested in returning to volunteering after taking a break? Check your status and get a placement here:
Please email: email@example.com
Please make sure that our messages are not going into your spam folder by mistake. Messages come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL Ongoing Community Volunteers Follow These Steps:
- Apply online (above) to become an Oakland School Volunteer.
If your application is approved, we will reach out with instructions for how to complete the following requirements.
- Attend an Orientation session – registrations below.
Learn about volunteer guidelines and expectations, supporting students’ social-emotional development, and keeping students actively engaged and learning.
- Complete a Live Scan fingerprint criminal background check.
We require this step to ensure all of our schools are safe places. You will need our unique “Request for Live Scan Service” form to complete this step. The results take from 2 to 14 days to arrive in our secure mailbox. There is a $40 fee for this service. If the cost is a barrier for you, please reach out to email@example.com after you apply to ask about our financial aid scholarship program to cover the cost of fingerprinting. You will receive more detailed instructions via email once your volunteer application is approved. Detailed HOW TO Here.
- **NEW** Mandated Reporter Training Requirement.
As of January 2024, ongoing volunteers will be required to have completed mandated reporter training per Assembly Bill 506. You can read more here. Volunteers need to register and log on to this website to complete the training and then upload the certificate to a link that will be emailed to you.
- Sign the Liability Waiver.
You will receive this waiver to sign once your fingerprinting results have been received.
- Attend a content training session – registration below.
We offer trainings in literacy and math tutoring strategies at both the elementary and middle school levels. Virtual 1:1 Academic Tutors are required to attend a special training about Zoom and online learning.
Additional In-Person Requirements:
- Upload tuberculosis clearance via email invitation.
Tuberculosis clearance is valid for four years. You will get more detailed instructions when your volunteer application is approved. Detailed HOW TO Here. Risk Assessment Form.
- Submit a photo of yourself for your volunteer clearance badge.
Use a color photo with your eyes open and facing the camera. No hats or sunglasses. (Please let us know if you cannot meet the photo requirements for religious or medical reasons.) Once you’ve completed the on-boarding requirements, you will be given a badge to wear every time you volunteer. This way, school staff knows you are fully cleared and safe to be an ongoing volunteer on campus.
Additional Career Coach Requirements:
- Participate in phone screening.
Our staff will reach out to you to talk more about the program, your interests, and ensure that this is a great fit for all parties. This is typically a quick 30-minute phone call or zoom before approving your participation.
- Attend a training session – registration below.
The Career Coach training offers tools and strategies to help students explore college and career options. We will review the toolkit, expectations, and practice scenarios.
NOTE: If you plan to volunteer at a Childhood Development Center (Pre-K), you must provide proof of vaccination for influenza, pertussis (whooping cough), and measles to the front office at the school where you will volunteer
- All in-person Oakland School Volunteers will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging the risk of volunteering in person.
- Masks are recommended for all in-person volunteering.
We host orientation and training sessions to support Oakland School Volunteers to be their best. The orientation sessions are required for all ongoing community volunteers and trainings are optional, but highly recommended. ALL SESSIONS WILL BE VIRTUAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Access the resources below to RSVP for a training session, read an overview of the programming and access training resources. Click the links to preview the content.
- 2022-23 Volunteer Orientation Guide: Clearance requirements, guidelines & expectations, safety information & procedures, social-emotional learning and student development, and tips for working with students
- Elementary Literacy Training: Introduction to the culture of literacy in OUSD, the building blocks of literacy with tutoring strategies, and components of writing with tutoring strategies.
- Elementary Math Training: Common core standards, OUSD’s vision for mathematics, and tutoring strategies. Watch the training HERE.
- Middle School Literacy Training: Student assessment data, strategies to support literacy and reading comprehension, components of writing, and practice resources.
- Middle School Math Training: Development expectations by grade level, tips for supporting skill development, and scenario-based tutoring tips.
- High School Career Coach Training: Building relationships with students, effective mentorship, supporting college readiness, career exploration, professional skills, and writing support.
- Virtual Tutor Training : Setting up Zoom, reporting requirements, structuring sessions, and keeping students engaged.
Volunteer Onboarding Sessions
Please sign up for sessions at least 24 hours in advance of the session. We are not able to accommodate late registrations.
Event-Based Informational Sessions
We believe that providing access to high quality public education is the responsibility of all members of our community and that volunteering is an excellent way to make an impact and give back. Volunteers become lifelong advocates for Oakland public schools and join in our mission to ensure that all Oakland public school students learn, grow, and thrive.