1st Time Registration to Volunteer
Registration and clearance is required to volunteer in Oakland public schools. Once you complete the registration, you will receive an immediate email with clearance options and instructions from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure that our messages are not going into your spam folder by mistake. We relay live, up-to-date clearance information to every school site. Our team will help you complete the clearance requirements to volunteer at your child’s school once you register.
Have you registered in the past and are wondering if you’re up-to-date? We relay live, up-to-date clearance information to every school site. Volunteer Clearance Options & Checklist >>
- We email you notices of TB expiration from email@example.com.
- Fingerprints do not expire as an Oakland School Volunteer.
- Proof of vaccination against COVID19 is now required for in-person volunteers. We invited you to upload this via email, if you missed that message, you may email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent Volunteer Overview
Parents/guardians have 4 different options to volunteer:
- Unsupervised – Receive an ID badge to indicate clearance to volunteer without being supervised by an OUSD employee. Registration, COVID19 vaccination, TB, and fingerprints are required.
- Supervised – Must be supervised by an OUSD employee, registration, COVID19 vaccination, and TB required.
- Special Event – Must be supervised by an OUSD employee, registration, and COVID19 vaccination required.
- Virtual Only – Only volunteering online for virtual learning. Supervised by an OUSD employee and must have fingerprints on file.
DECISION TREE: Which type of volunteer would you like to become?
Frequently Asked Questions
All clearance forms are available in this Google Drive Folder.
Once you’ve submitted TB clearance, please email email@example.com to request a fingerprinting scholarship.
All volunteers should register as an Oakland School Volunteer regardless of how often nor the type of volunteering that you plan to do. Registration button is above.
To tutor students 1:1 online, you must submit DOJ/FBI clearance after registering above.
Tuberculosis clearance is not required for virtual volunteering.
- Once you register with Oakland School Volunteers, we will email you instructions and the necessary, unique fingerprinting form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fingerprinting must be completed in-person during socially-distanced, pandemic-accommodated appointments. We recommend making an appointment with LPG Live Scan. Please check your emails from email@example.com to access the required form for fingerprinting services.
- If you would like a scholarship to cover the $35 cost of fingerprinting, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (Community volunteers who are unsupervised OR frequent volunteers are required to submit FBI/DOJ fingerprinting.)
We invite OUSD educators to nominate students for 1:1 online academic tutors or high school career coaches via our website. Please ask your students’ educator to nominate them if you’d like. Then we will ask you to sign a consent waiver to approve the 1:1 online academic tutoring.