- REQUEST EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS THROUGH THE ED FUND
- CONTRACTOR REQUIREMENTS BEFORE STARTING WORK
- EMPLOYEE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE STARTING WORK
- PAYROLL INFORMATION FOR ED FUND EMPLOYEES
- PAYROLL INFORMATION FOR SUPERVISORS
- WORKERS COMPENSATION INFORMATION FOR SUPERVISORS & EMPLOYEES
- BENEFITS INFORMATION FOR EMPLOYEES
- CONTACT INFO & OTHER FAQs
What is the Hiring Toolkit?
Submitting a Hiring Toolkit is the official request for work at The Ed Fund. In order to comply with Labor codes, we still need to make an Employee or Contractor Determination based on your Hiring Toolkit entries. A thorough Job Description or Scope of Work that outlines the nature of the work to be performed will help your work request move along quicker through the pipeline. Make sure you have all the relevant details related to the work including the work dates and details, the worker’s contact information, and other details of the work to be performed.
Employee or Contractor?
Deciding these facts fall into three main categories: Behavioral Control, Financial Control, and Relationship of parties. According to the IRS, an independent contractor is a worker who individually contracts with an employer to provide specialized or requested services on a as needed basis. The individual is free from control and direction of the performance of their work. Unlike an employee, receives extensive instructions on how and where work is to be done. This example falls under behavioral control. For financial control, if you are not reimbursed for some or all expenses, then you may be a contractor. Employee benefits or written contracts also determine the relationship between the worker and the business.
The IRS has developed ways to help the employer determine employment classifications.
The Reasonable Basis Test provides a safe harbor to employers, which bars the IRS from challenging the status of workers. The IRS can’t penalize an employer for misclassifying a workers as an independent contractor. The 20-Factor Test helps employers determine whether the worker is an employee or independent contractor. If there is a high number of “Yes”, then most likely it is an employee. If there is a high number of “No”, then it may indicate a contractor relationship. Employers and workers should file form SS-8 to determine from the IRS as to whether or not the worker in an independent contractor.
Before performing work and beginning to invoice for payment, a contractor may need to complete the following:
All contractors need to fill out IRS Form W9. Contractors who make $600 or more over the course of a tax year, it is required to report these payments to the IRS on an information return called form 1099-MISC.
Criminal Background Check
If you will be in contact with children and/or located on an Oakland Unified School District school site, you are required to obtain a criminal background check through LiveScan Fingerprinting with our vendor, Red Tomatoes (instructions can be found here). You do not need to schedule an appointment, but you must fill out this Request for LiveScan Service Form. Once complete, we will be informed directly of your result so you’re all set. Usually they turn around fairly quickly. The total cost for the background check is around $75.00 and will be charged up front when you get to Red Tomatoes.
If you will be in contact with children and/or located on an Oakland Unified School District school site, you must also provide us proof of Tuberculosis Clearance recent to the last four years. If you have received a TB screening in the last four years, you may provide the documentation to us as clearance.
If you have not had a screening in the last four years, you will need to be screened again and provide that documentation of a negative result. Results will sometimes give false-positives but if your Doctor provides written clearance based on X-Rays or observation then we can also accept this as clearance. This document lists low-cost or free TB Testing sites for your convenience—please note that TB Testing usually involves initial administering, and then a reading of results two days later.
General Liability Insurance
If your work will not be performed 100% remotely, you’ll need to provide a Certificate of General Liability Insurance. Such a policy will cover legal liability for “bodily injury,” “property damage,” “personal injury,” “advertising injury,” and “product/completed-operations hazard” arising out of services provided pursuant to this agreement. A policy should include a $1,000,000 per occurrence with an aggregate of $2,000,000. Each limit is renewed on an annual basis with a deductible or retention at a maximum of $25,000. Please provide a certificate of insurance and add the Oakland Public Education Fund as additionally insured on your policy. Our address is 520 3rd Street, Suite 109, Oakland, CA 94607.
If you receive a Hiring Agreement from the Oakland Public Education Fund, you have been classified as an employee. The HR Team will inform/email your responsibilities in order to be hired and begin getting paid. You’ll receive a hiring letter through DocuSign that will detail your hiring terms – please review carefully, and sign it if there are no issues.
Criminal Background Check
Since you will be in contact with children and/or located on an Oakland Unified School District school site at some point in your employment, you are required to obtain a criminal background check through LiveScan Fingerprinting with our vendor, Red Tomatoes (instructions can be found here). You do not need to schedule an appointment, but you must fill out this specific Request for LiveScan Service Form. Once complete, we will be informed directly of your result so you’re all set. Usually they turn around fairly quickly. There is no cost to you personally – Red Tomatoes will bill our account.
If you have received a TB screening in the last four years, you may provide the documentation to us as clearance. If you have not had a screening in the last four years, you will need to be screened again and provide that documentation of a negative result. Results will sometimes give false-positives but if your Doctor provides written clearance based on X-Rays or observation then we can also accept this as clearance. This document lists low-cost or free TB Testing sites for your convenience – please note that TB Testing usually involves initial administering, and then a reading of results 2 days later.
You will be oriented by us at the Oakland Public Education Fund offices located at 520 3rd Street, Suite 109, Oakland, CA 94607. After completing your clearance and signing the hiring agreement contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule orientation. We are open M-F from 8-5pm. Orientation takes no longer than 1 hour, please plan accordingly.
What to Bring to Orientation
• I9 Verification Documents: As part of your orientation, the law requires we verify your employment eligibility. As such you’ll be required to bring in specific document(s) based on this guide sheet. Please make sure these documents are up-to-date and readable – we can’t accept copies so we’ll need to observe the actual document(s) on the day.
• Voided Check for Direct Deposit: You’ll have the opportunity at your orientation to sign up for direct deposit. We’d need you to provide either a voided check or other bank document that contains your routing and account information, as a means of verification. Direct Deposit usually takes one or two pay cycles to begin working, so let us know at the orientation whether or not you’d like your first check(s) sent in the mail or if you’d want to pick them up at our offices each pay day.
How does Payroll work at The Ed Fund?
Hourly employees should ideally be entering their hours at the end of their work shift or at the end of the week. Supervisors will be reviewing and approving timesheets every week. The Ed Fund will process payroll once all timesheets are approved. The Ed Funds needs to meet a process deadline the morning of a tleast two days before payday. For further information, please read over the Payroll Guide.
What is Paylocity?
Paylocity is our all-in-one HR system that is primarily used for payroll. Hourly employees can access their timesheet, pay stubs, w2 tax form, and request time off.
How do I register in Paylocity?
Once you have received notification from Human Resources or Payroll an account has been created, go to https://login.paylocity.com. From the Login screen, click the “Register New User Account” link to access the Register New User Account Wizard. For further instructions click here.
When is payday, and what am I being paid for?
Payday is the 15th and end of the month. If payday lands on a Holiday or a weekend the Ed Fund Process payroll the day before. This 2018 PAYROLL GUIDE lets you know when is payday and for what dates you are being paid for.
When do I enter hours on my timesheet and when are the deadlines?
Hourly employees should ideally be entering their hours at the end of their work shift or at the end of the week. Forgetting to enter hours may cause discrepancy on the timesheet. Employee Timesheets are due Mondays at Noon for each previous week, and Supervisor Approval Deadlines are Tuesdays at Noon.
What if the timesheet entry or supervisor approval deadline is on a holiday?
Then the deadlines are both moved to the following day. If there’s a Holiday on a Monday, timesheet entries will be due on Tuesday at Noon, and supervisor approvals will be due on Wednesday at noon. We’ll let folks know when this is the case.
I forgot to enter hours on my timesheet, will I still get paid?
If you realized you missed any entries and if the week you’re entering in Paylocity is greyed out, you must complete a Manual Timesheet. This timesheet must be signed by your supervisor. We will not create a check without the supervisor’s approval. Once manual timesheets are approved, checks are processed ASAP once signatures are received but can take up to 5 business days to process. To avoid this, make sure to just enter your timesheets before the weekly deadline.
How can I change my W4 withholding/exemptions?
How can I access my W2?
Go to www.paylocity.com, enter your login information. Once you’re in the the Self Service Portal under the Pay box click on More. Click on Tax Forms. This should immediately take you to your 2017 W2. You may click Download on the top right if you wish. For security purposes Paylocity may ask for a code that will be sent out to your cell phone or e-mail, depending on your preferences. Before saving the PDF it will ask you to set a password (which will become the password to the PDF). You can alternately click “don’t set password” and just click the orange View PDF button.
How can I set up or change my Direct Deposit information?
If you would like to set up or change my direct deposit fill out the Direct Deposit Authorization Form and attach a voided check. All forms go to email@example.com or you may come to the office and drop it off (520 3rd Street, Suite 109, Oakland, CA 94607).
How do I access Paylocity on my phone?
Once you are registered you may start using the Paylocity app. Simply look up Paylocity Mobile in the Apple App Store or on your Android device. Enter your information and the usual company ID N5710. You’ll be ready to enter your timesheets or request time off.
I am locked out of Paylocity and don’t remember my password—what do I do?
If you have forgotten your password click the Forgot Password link, located on the bottom left of the log-in screen, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org and your password will be reset.
If you are locked out and do remember your password, wait 30 minutes and the system will automatically unlock your profile.
Will I receive timesheet reminders?
Hourly employees will be receiving timesheet reminders every week through email. If you are not receiving any notifications please contact email@example.com.
What if my timesheet needs corrections?
The tried-and-true way to correct a timesheet for a given day is to delete the whole row, hit save, and re-enter your time again. This can be used to fix the AM/PM issue, but can also be used to make corrections for any other reason. Once you’ve “approved” your own timesheet however, you’re unable to make changes. You’ll need to contact your supervisor to unapproved the timesheet before you can make edits again.
When I enter my hours it says “error”—what do I do?
We recommend you to sign out and login again. If you take too long to enter hours, the system will not accept entries. If it keeps happening please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What needs to be done before the weekly deadline?
Enter all the hours you worked for the previous Monday-to-Sunday week. Request any time off, past and future. If you’ve requested time off and your supervisor hasn’t approved it yet, consider reminding them. Review your timesheet for accuracy:
• Did you make sure to enter AMs and PMs correctly?
• Do all the hour totals add up?
• Did you make sure you got supervisor approval for any overtime you worked?
• Did you enter your hours into the correct week’s timesheets?
• Did you make sure to hit save?
• If you are a Regular Part-Time Employee, did you enter your holiday hours, if any?
How do I request time off for sick and vacation?
The first thing you see when you’re logged in is the Self Service Portal. This portal contains everything you’ll need to do in terms of employee functions. Under the Time Off box, you can see your sick and vacation accrual. Click on More then Submit Time Off Request. The next page will have you enter the Type, Date, Time, and Hour for the request. For further detail explanation follow this guide.
How do I access my pay stubs?
The first thing you see when you’re logged in is the Self Service Portal. This portal contains everything you’ll need to do in terms of employee functions. Under Pay you can access and print your pay stubs. Simply click on the date and it will direct you to another page containing your earnings breakdown. Click on the top right orange button that says Download Stub.
What is Paylocity?
Paylocity is our all-in-one HR system that is primarily used for payroll. Hourly Employees can access their timesheet, pay stubs, w2 tax form, and request time off. As the Supervisor you will be approving employees timesheet and approving time off request.
How do I register in Paylocity?
Once you have received a notification from Human Resources or Payroll an account has been created, go to: https://login.paylocity.com. Enter the Company ID, Username, and Temporary Password. You will be ask to change the password once you login and create challenge questions.
Why does it always ask me for security questions?
Although you may find it inconvenient to create and remember these security questions, it is very important. Having this second level of authentication is an excellent way to prevent unauthorized logins.
Once I login, how do I approve timesheets?
The first thing you see when you’re logged in is the “Quick View” box. This box contains everything you’ll need to do in terms of supervisory functions.
1. Click on My Employees Button
• If you click the number where it says My Employees it will give a listing of all the employees you supervise. Simply click on the employee you want to approve timesheets for.
2. Review the timesheet for accuracy
• Please remember also that employees that work over 8 hours in one day will be paid overtime.
• A common error is that employees will often enter AM instead of PM and vice versa. The quickest way to remedy this is just deleting the whole row of entries and starting again for that date. We recommend you have employees do this so we can have them correct their errors and prevent it in the future.
3. Approve Timesheets
• Please approve timesheets by clicking the left-most box for each entry and make sure it’s checked then hit “Save”.
How do I approve vacation and sick time off for an employee?
The first thing you see when you’re logged in is the “Quick View” box. This box contains everything you’ll need to do in terms of supervisory functions. If you click the number where it says Pending Time Off Requests it will give a listing of any employee time off requests awaiting your approval (it will just say zero if there are none).
Since your employees are temporary hourly employees, the time off they’d eventually be able to request is Sick Time. You’ll receive an e-mail notification whenever a request comes in.
When do I approve time sheets?
Supervisor approvals are due Tuesdays at Noon (unless there’s a holiday that week, in which case the deadline will be the following day). Here is the 2018 PAYROLL GUIDE.
What If I forget to approve timesheets?
It’s the Ed Fund HR’s number one priority to get employees paid. Even though timesheet approval deadlines are weekly, if we don’t manage to get a supervisor’s timesheet approvals by the deadline we’ll first contact them to remind them (maybe even once or twice). If it’s close to a pay period and we can’t get an approval from you, we’ll go ahead and approve the timesheet on your behalf as we are their employers – we’ll notify supervisors whenever we do this. We’re pretty good at catching errors, but if there were any mistakes in the timesheets we approved (eg hours that were mistakenly entered) just let us know and we can correct it with a subsequent payroll correction.
Will I receive reminders about approving timesheets?
Yes, you will be receiving weekly payroll reminders. If you are not receiving them please contact email@example.com.
Why are there no hours on my employee timesheet(s)?
If no hours are entered on Paylocity it is your responsibility to follow up with the employee as they’ve probably forgotten to enter their hours. If the payroll period has already ended, the employee needs to fill out this Manual Timesheet. This process is completed through Docusign, and will need your signature for approval.
What is Workers Compensation?
Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that offers employees compensation for injuries or disabilities sustained as a result of their employment. Oakland Public Education Fund, in accordance with state law, provides insurance coverage for employees in case of work-related injury. If you are injured or become ill either physically or mentally because of your job, including injuries resulting from a workplace crime, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits which include medical care without paying out of pocket, and/or reimbursements for medical care related to the incident.
What to do if you have an urgent work-related injury?
1. If you need emergency care call 911 for help immediately.
2. Let HR know ASAP that you were injured at work at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The next step is to make sure you receive reimbursement by filling out the DWC-1 form, (Employee Portion).
4. Provide medical records and bills so we can submit all paperwork to our Workers Comp provider all at once. If you don’t have the receipt you can provide that after-the-fact.
5. Send all paperwork to email@example.com, and we’ll report everything from our end. Workers Compensation will reach out to you regarding your reimbursement.
6. If you need follow-up care, you will need to go to a clinic in our network. To help locate the nearest physician in your area, please call 855-622-6474. Our MPN Identification number is 2125. You can also find a physician online, www.lwpprosightsignaturempn.com.
What to do if you have a non-urgent work-related incident?
1. If it’s a non-urgent incident, report the injury to HR by calling 510-221-6968 ext 710 (HR Manager) or 510-221-6968 ext 713 (HR & Payroll Assistant) ASAP. We will provide you with instructions for seeking medical care if needed.
2. Complete the report DWC-1 Form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Seek immediate care. We have a group of medical providers designated to provide treatment and it’s highly suggested that you go through these medical providers so that you won’t have to pay anything out of pocket. To help locate the nearest physician in your area, please call 855-622-6474. It will ask you for our MPN Identification number which is 2125 and our Workers Comp Policy Number is WC201800008045. Our policy is under The Oakland Public Education Fund.
4. You can also find a physician on the internet by going to www.lwpprosightsignaturempn.com but it’s better to call since you may have questions. When you contact the physician make sure you inform them that it’s workers comp related – also ask them what you’ll need to bring to the appointment.
5. Please keep HR updated through all steps of this process.