OAKLAND ED FUND ADVISORY BOARD
In the last five years, the Oakland Public Education Fund has raised more than $60 million and brought thousands of volunteers into schools so that all of our kids have the tools they need to succeed. But we need to do more. To help us deepen and sharpen our work, we are building a diverse team of young professionals who are passionate about equity for Oakland’s public school students. Sound like you? Then join us, because…
On our advisory board, you won’t be bored.
Partly due to our hilarious puns, we put the “fun” in Ed Fund. Whether hosting Read-Ins and happy hours or just working hard behind the scenes, there is always a lot going on at the Ed Fund.
As an Advisory Board member, your expertise will help drive innovation and creativity at a nonprofit that moves fast on behalf of Oakland kids. Along the way, you’ll also meet plenty of likeminded community leaders as you connect with your fellow Board members.
On our Board, you will:
• Choose finalists for our A to Z Fund mini-grants, awarding $80,000 to teachers across Oakland for professional development, field trips, arts, science, and other projects.
• Use your network to spread the word about the Ed Fund’s work and about the many opportunities for individuals and groups to get behind Oakland students.
• Thought-partner to help us solve organizational challenges, and lend your professional skills and advice so that we can do even more for Oakland schools. (Examples: community engagement campaigns, shopping for office space, direct mail and marketing ideas, improving our use of technology tools, and more.)
• Commit to joining quarterly, evening meetings at the Ed Fund offices and put in one or two hours of prep work in between to review grant proposals or support staff on special projects.
Want to join our growing Advisory Board?
Email Bridget Daly (email@example.com) and we’ll follow up soon!
Meanwhile, learn more about us.
• Who we are: Founded in 2003 as the Oakland Schools Foundation, the Oakland Public Education Fund leads the development and investment of community resources in Oakland’s public schools so that all students can learn, grow, and thrive.
• Bringing the community into our schools: The Ed Fund launched its Oakland School Volunteers program in 2016. Since then, we have matched almost 3,000 volunteers with Oakland schools and helped companies like Salesforce “adopt” individual Oakland schools.
• Leveling the playing field: We help companies like Intel make smart investments in our schools so that students who come to school with less get more. Learn about Intel’s effort to create tech equity in our high schools.
• The tools they need: We support high-needs schools with individual fundraising drives and coordinate several annual campaigns including the Back to School Backpack and Supply Drive, Newcomer Winter Coat Drive, and the Dressed By West Prom Dress Giveaway. We know that these “extras” aren’t really extras and work to ensure students have the supplies they need to shine at school.
• Connecting everyone: Whether it’s an exclusive screening at Pixar, our glamorous annual gala, or our Teacher Appreciation Party at the Oakland Museum, we are always hosting events that bring people together for Oakland kids.
Photos above: Advisory Board members reviewing Teacher Mini-Grants at our October 2017 meeting