LGBTQ+ Read-In Week
June 22-26, 2020
Every summer, we celebrate Pride Month with books! This year, we are doing things a bit differently in light of temporary school closures and the importance of social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Instead of visiting schools, we are inviting community members to sign up to make a video of yourself reading aloud your favorite children’s book celebrating the LGBTQ+ community. We will highlight books from our Recommended Reading List with YouTube videos, social media, home reading guides, author profiles and more.
Check out past videos from the Asian Pacific American Read-In Week for a bit of inspiration!
Sign Up to Film a Read-Aloud Video
Follow these instructions to contribute!
- Claim which book you will read aloud in video (button below)!
- Please select a book that you already have in your home library or are able to order online.
- Once you register, we will email comprehensive instructions to you.
- FILM YOUR VIDEO:
- Practice your story ahead of time so that you can make your story animated and engaging.
- Be sure to highlight the author, tricky vocabulary words, and show all of the pictures.
- Review Read-Aloud Tips as part of your preparation.
- EDIT YOUR VIDEO:
- Edit your video to shorten and include reference images. 15-minutes maximum.
- Required resolution options: 3840×2160 | 2569×1440 | 1920×1080 | 1280×720
- Please upload your video to your own Dropbox or GoogleDrive account.
- Select public setting so that external parties can edit and download your video.
Want to go above and beyond?
If you’d like to empower future, in-person read-ins, please consider:
- Selecting a book from our recommended reading list and mail it to the office:
- Oakland School Volunteers c/o The Oakland Public Education Fund
- P.O. Box 71005 | Oakland, CA 94612
- Donate to Oakland School Volunteers
Questions about the Read-In?
Please email Oakland School Volunteers Program Manager Lilly Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org.