Latinx VirtualRead-In Week
October 5-9, 2020
Every fall, we celebrate Latinx Heritage Month with books! This year, we are doing things a bit differently in light of temporary school closures and the importance of social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Instead of visiting schools, we are inviting community members to sign up to make a video of yourself reading aloud your favorite children’s book celebrating the Latinx community. We will highlight books from our Recommended Reading List with YouTube videos, social media, home reading guides, author profiles and more.
Check out past videos from the Asian Pacific American Read-In Week for a bit of inspiration and scroll down for detailed instructions.
Sign Up to Film a Read-Aloud Video
Follow these instructions to contribute!
- Claim which book you will read aloud in video (button below)!
- Please select a book that you already have in your home library or are able to order online.
- Once you register, we will email comprehensive instructions to you.
- FILM YOUR VIDEO:
- Practice your story ahead of time so that you can make your story animated and engaging.
- Be sure to highlight the author, tricky vocabulary words, and show all of the pictures.
- Review Read-Aloud Tips as part of your preparation.
- EDIT YOUR VIDEO:
- Edit your video to shorten and include reference images. 15-minutes maximum.
- Required resolution options: 3840×2160 | 2569×1440 | 1920×1080 | 1280×720
- Please upload your video to your own Dropbox or GoogleDrive account.
- Select public setting so that external parties can edit and download your video.
Want to go above and beyond?
If you’d like to empower future, in-person read-ins, please consider:
- Selecting a book from our recommended reading list and mail it to the office:
- Oakland School Volunteers c/o The Oakland Public Education Fund
- P.O. Box 71005 | Oakland, CA 94612
- Donate to Oakland School Volunteers
Questions about the Read-In?
Please email Oakland School Volunteers Program Manager Lilly Smith, email@example.com.