African American Virtual Read-In Week – February 1-5, 2021
Every year, we celebrate Black History Month with books! This year, we are doing things a bit differently to support distance learning during the pandemic. We invite community members to make a video reading aloud your favorite children’s book by and about the African American community.
Sign Up to Film a Read-Aloud Video
Follow these instructions to contribute!
- Claim which book you will read aloud for your video (button below)!
- Please select a book that you already have in your home library, are able to order online, or rent an ebook from the library.
- Once you register, we will email you additional instructions.
- FILM YOUR VIDEO:
- Practice your story ahead of time so that you can make your story animated and engaging. Review Read-Aloud Tips as part of your preparation.
- Be sure to highlight the author, tricky vocabulary words, and show all of the pictures.
- PREPARE YOUR VIDEO:
- Please make videos no longer than 15-minutes.
- Optionally edit your video to shorten and include reference images.
- Required resolution options: 3840×2160 | 2569×1440 | 1920×1080 | 1280×720
- Please upload your video to your own Dropbox or GoogleDrive account.
- Select public setting so that external parties can edit and download your video.
- We will email you a link where you can upload your video.
Want to go above and beyond?
If you’d like to empower future, in-person read-ins, please consider:
- Selecting a book from our recommended reading list and mail it to the office:
- Oakland School Volunteers c/o The Oakland Public Education Fund
- P.O. Box 71005 | Oakland, CA 94612
- Donate to Oakland School Volunteers
Questions about the Read-In?
Please email Oakland School Volunteers Senior Program Manager Lilly Smith, email@example.com.