Asian Pacific American Read-In Week, May 11-15, 2020
Every year, we celebrate Asian Pacific American History Month with books!
This year, we are doing things a bit differently in light of temporary school closures and the importance of social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Instead of visiting schools, we are inviting community members to sign up to make a video of yourself reading aloud your favorite children’s book by and about Asian Pacific Americans. We will highlight books from our Recommended Reading List with YouTube videos, social media, home reading guides, author profiles and more.
Volunteer to Film a Read-Aloud Video
Follow these instructions to contribute!
- SIGN UP
- Claim which book you will read aloud in video (button below)!
- Please select a book that you already have in your home library or are able to order online. Due to the Shelter-in-Place ordinance, we will not be able to share books or rent them from the library at this time.
- FILM YOUR VIDEO
- Practice your story ahead of time so that you know the twists and turns throughout and can make your story animated and engaging.
- Please be sure to highlight the author, tricky vocabulary words, and show all of the pictures.
- Please review Read-Aloud Tips as part of your preparation.
- EDIT YOUR VIDEO
- Please edit your video to shorten and include reference images. 15-minutes maximum.
- Name your video: “[Title] [Author] Read Aloud by [Your Name]”
- Required resolution options: 3840×2160 | 2569×1440 | 1920×1080 | 1280×720
- Please upload your video to your own Dropbox or GoogleDrive account.
- Select public setting so that external parties can edit and download your video.
- We will send you a link to submit your video via URL.
Want to go above and beyond?
If you’d like to empower future, in-person read-ins, please consider:
- Selecting a book from our recommended reading list and mail it to the office:
- Oakland School Volunteers c/o The Oakland Public Education Fund
- P.O. Box 71005 | Oakland, CA 94612
- Donate to Oakland School Volunteers
Questions about the Read-In?
Please email Oakland School Volunteers Program Manager Lilly Smith, email@example.com.